- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 (4-ounce) Ray fillets
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup minced shallots (about 2)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup Marsala wine or dry sherry
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Heat a large skillet over medium-heat. Place 1/4 cup flour in a shallow dish. Dredge ray in flour. Coat pan with oil. Add ray to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned.
Remove ray from pan and keep warm in oven.
Add shallots, garlic, and mushrooms to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until moisture evaporates. Add remaining 1 tablespoon flour and thyme to pan, and cook for 1 minute, stirring well. Combine chicken broth and Marsala, stirring until smooth. Gradually add broth mixture to pan, stirring constantly with whisk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes or until sauce thickens.
Return ray to pan; cook 2 minutes or until desired degree of doneness,turning to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Serve with mashed potatoes. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.